Situations of empathy and reaching out, accompanied by a desire to fix things, can mean that in our eagerness to help our normal guard is relaxed. This allows more opportunity for negative energy to enter your energy field which you can then absorb and carry around with you. Other times, while dealing professionally with a challenging situation, other people’s negative energies can insidiously creep up on us and influence our own sense of well-being.
There are things you can do to take control of the way you feel and deal with negative energies and people in different situations.
First recognise the signs: If before your interaction you were feeling fairly ok, during it you started to feel negative or anxious and after it you felt awful, then that could be a sign that you have taken on’ stuff’ that isn’t yours. You might also then find that you carry around this ‘stuff’ with you throughout your day. The good news however is that there are some simple techniques to help protect yourself from energy and people that drain you.
In order to do this, firstly remember that your role is to be fully present and therefore available to do your work as effectively as possible. For this to happen, staying centred is crucial.
How then, do you develop the ability to be fully present, empathic and actively listening, while at the same time ensuring that you are as calm, centred and clear-thinking as possible? There are no simple answers, as each interaction, each individual and each dynamic is unique. However there are some things you can do.
- If you are facing what you expect may be a challenging interaction, prepare. Be clear what your role and main message is, practise it in your head if required.
- Protect yourself beforehand in whatever way works best for you. In my work with clients, some of the methods they have used have included
- Visualise a mirror to deflect any negative energy that comes your way
- Visualising an invisible protective cloak, like a Batman or Superman cloak around you.
Tip: Really see it, feel it. Nothing can penetrate it, it is there to fully protect you from negative energies of others or directed towards you. Affirm that nothing can touch you.
- Visualising being immersed in an egg-shaped light is also a very powerful protection technique. White light in the shape of an egg with you at the centre.
- If possible, prepare before you enter a challenging situation. You will be energetically protecting yourself.
- Visualise an urn in the corner of a room and all the negative energy being drawn into it and neutralised.
Tip: If you feel an energy drain while with someone, simply tactfully fold your arms over your solar plexus. This is where energy absorption and leaks happen and I have found this simple technique quite effective.
Monitor the state of your own energy by checking in frequently throughout the day. Return to yourself by simply sitting quietly at your desk, in your car etc. and becoming aware of your breath